Various methods of teeth whitening turned out to bring side effects. Whereas changing lifestyle, including improving daily diet, turns out to be a natural teeth whitener which is much safer and cheaper than using chemicals.
As you get older, the color of your teeth will change. For example, a white baby’s teeth will become more dull due to the natural changes in mineral structure in the teeth. The enamel layer becomes thinner and contains less phosphate and pores. In addition, the color of the teeth can become darker because of food and beverage stains.
Some people consider this condition to be very disruptive to self-confidence, so they take various ways to whiten their teeth, ranging from laser technology to bleaching which usually uses hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. But like many other beauty methods, bleaching can have negative effects, such as irritation of the gums and teeth that make it more sensitive. While the use of excessive toothpaste in the long term can be abrasive or thinning the enamel layer of the teeth and actually make the teeth darker.
How to Whiten Your Teeth Naturally
Certain types of food contain carotenoids or xanthonoids that can stain teeth.
- Sugar is one of the main causes of tooth stains. Limit consumption of foods and drinks containing excess sugar, such as tea, coffee, and packaged beverages, including syrup and honey. Instead, increase consumption of mineral water.
- Reduce consumption of beverages containing tannins, such as coffee, soda, tea, and red wine. You can minimize stains by consuming cold drinks using a straw.
- Limit consumption of foods that can stick to teeth, such as caramel and candy.
- Quit smoking. In addition to making teeth yellow, cigarettes can trigger oral cancer.
Foods that can be used as Natural Teeth Whitening
Some types of food can play a role in maintaining health and making teeth cleaner, here are:
- Eat fresh vegetables and fruits to help keep your teeth healthy and clean, but limit the consumption of citrus fruits.
- Eat nuts and low-fat milk. The protein and calcium contained in it play a role in strengthening teeth.
- Eat more strawberries that contain natural malic acid to help remove stains on the teeth. Alternatively, rub the strawberry pieces on your teeth and rinse your mouth after you leave it for at least a minute.
- Eat solid cheese to help increase saliva production which acts to eliminate bacteria that stain your teeth.
- Eat carrots, celery and apples. Besides being rich in vitamin C, this food helps increase saliva production to remove plaque in the teeth. While vitamin C helps to strengthen the gums and kill the bacteria that causes bad breath.
Various Teeth whitening Natural Ingredients
Applying certain ingredients directly to the teeth can also be a natural teeth whitener.
Activated charcoal turns out to be a natural teeth whitener. This ingredient is safe for the mouth. As a medicinal ingredient, activated charcoal acts to absorb chemicals, such as drugs to deal with gas or acid from the intestine.
If active charcoal powder is rubbed on the teeth, ingredients that can be purchased at the pharmacy or online can help remove stains on the teeth after being used for several weeks.
You can apply this activated charcoal to a toothbrush, such as applying toothpaste. Rub on the teeth in a circular motion. Don’t forget to make sure you use a toothbrush that is different from what you normally use everyday. Then rinse with water until clean and brush your teeth with toothpaste as usual.
Blend 1-3 large-sized ripe strawberries. Mix with half a teaspoon of baking soda. This paste can be applied to the toothbrush and then applied to the teeth. Leave for at least five minutes, then rinse with water. Then brush your teeth with ordinary toothpaste.
The white part of the orange between the skin and the flesh contains d-limonene which can help remove stains on the teeth. Peel slowly so that this part is not wasted. Rub the orange peel on the teeth. Leave it for 3-5 minutes. Gargle and brush your teeth as usual. Use it every day for 2-3 weeks.
Bananas that are rich in magnesium, potassium and manganese can actually help remove yellow stains on the teeth. Rub the inside of the ripe banana skin. Gargle and brush your teeth with ordinary toothpaste after leaving for about 15 minutes.
In addition to the above method, you can try gargling with a glass of warm water with a mixture of lemon juice, do it once a week. And remember, don’t forget to brush your teeth twice a day and check your teeth regularly to prevent sticking on the teeth.